Lorenza Litrico

A fronter Diocese in Tuscany: the Labronic Church and the City of Livorno between reconstruction and the Cold War (1945-1959)

Lorenza Litrico

lorenza.litrico@unimore.it

The project aims to start reflecting on the catholic world and the church of Livorno in the Second post-war period, firstly analysing the pastoral activity of mons. Giovanni Piccioni, who had been leading the tuscan diocese since 1921.

The research stems from the idea to reconstruct how, in the post-war years, Livorno’s church, one of the Pius XII’s churches, dealt with the challenges of modernization that were changing the face of Italy.

Through a deep and systematic study of archival and various other sources of information, the pastoral activity and the guidelines dictated by the bishop on the labronic clergy and catholic organisms will be investigated, as well as the relations between the roman “center” and Livorno’s Church.

The Church of Livorno seemed to be a peripheal church but soon became, after the Second World War, a symbol of “red” power. It was not an isolated “case”, but it represents a peculiar observatory in the political affairs of the country, in which opposing interests and strategies found a ground for convergence and compromise, in a context that had changed on many levels: geographical, political, social, both national and international because of the world being divided into two opposite blocks.